These beautiful twin lakes are located at the bae Volcano Muhabura and close to the border of Rwanda and Ugandain the northern part of Rwanda, on the outskirts of Musanze.
They are referred to as the twin lakes because they are interconnected at a point where one lake pours water into the other
The lakes are located right at the foot of Mountain Sabyinyo, Muhabura, Bisoke and Gahinga. They are extremely beautiful, surrounded by the mountains and a very beautiful forest. The lakes are fishing grounds and this makes them not only important to those on Safari in Rwanda but also to the nearby local communities. The lakes are usually visited as an additional activity after a gorilla tracking Safari.
The twin lakes area is very scenic, with steep and intensively farmed hills surrounding the pristine dark blue waters. They offer magnificent views over the whole of the Virunga Volcanoes (weather permitting). Walking and birdwatching are possible in the hills and at some points around the lakes, but due to the very steep character of the landscape most visitors prefer to drive up the small track leading to a lodge situated on the top of the hill overlooking both lakes to enjoy the scenery and have a refreshing drink.
At Lake Ruhondo visitors can hire a boat to go on a scenic lake cruise and have an opportunity to spot many water birds such as herons, cranes, kingfishers and hammerkops
Nestled below the famous Virunga Volcanoes, the Twin Lakes of Burera and Ruhondo can only be described as magic.
Start with a 4×4 adventure through Rwandan back roads to the lakes. We’ll then enjoy a local boat tour through islands and glens, reaching some of Rwanda’s most remote populations. Take in breathtaking views as the six volcanoes peak out behind the lakes’ islands.
The afternoon features a gourmet picnic on a private peninsula with optional hiking.
- Sightseeing customized to your interests
- Transport from start to the end of your tour
- Boat trip to the Islands
- All entrance fees, taxes and service charges for included
- Meals included (L=Lunch)
- Wine tasting
- Local bottled water during sightseeing
- 24/7 ground assistance
- Emergency Medical Evacuation
- Any other services specified in the itinerary
- All flights unless listed above under Included Services or International
- Passport fees, visa and immunization costs
- Local airport departure taxes where applicable
- Personal charges such as drinks, laundry, telephone calls or room service
- Gratuities, unless otherwise noted